Christmas Around the World
Scavenger Hunt #2
Use the printer icon or File/Print command of your Internet browser
to print a copy of this page.
1. Why are bits of hay put underneath the tablecloth at the traditional
Christmas meal in Poland?
2. Who first brought the tradition of the Christmas tree to England?
3. What do families in Armenia do after attending Christmas Eve church
4. What decoration is usually put on the top of Christmas trees in the
5. What is Christmas called in Zimbabwe?
6. What is the name of the traditional pudding made in Scotland for Christmas?
7. Name two popular decorations for nativity scenes in Costa Rica.
8. In small towns and villages of New Zealand, how does Santa travel
to visit children on Christmas morning?
9. Since the first and second world wars, turkey has been the popular
choice for Christmas meals in Malta. What bird was commonly used
before the wars?
10. On Christmas Day in Ecuador people who live in the mountains dress
in their finest clothes and visit the ranches of their employers. What
kind of animals do they ride there?
11. By tradition, groups of children in Romania travel from house to house
singing carols and reciting poetry during the Christmas season.
What does the leader of each group carry and how is it decorated?
12. The dessert at a traditional Christmas feast in Denmark is a special
rice pudding with something hidden in it. What is hidden and brings
good luck to the one who finds it?
13. What item do people carry as they enter the church for Christmas services
14. The traditional Christmas Eve supper in Poland consists of 12 dishes.
What do these 12 dishes represent?
15. A familiar tradition in Norway involves putting a bowl of rice pudding
out for the barn elf. Why is this done?