Christmas Around the World
Scavenger Hunt #1
Use the printer icon or File/Print command of your Internet browser
to print a copy of this page.
1. What kind of trees are decorated at Christmas time in India?
2. Christmas trees are not commonly used in Greece. What is the main symbol
of the season in most Greek homes?
3. In the Netherlands, what do children leave in their shoes as a gift
for Sinterklaas's horse?
4. On what day during the holiday season are gifts traditionally exchanged
5. What kind of fruit is often found in the stockings of children who
live in the Canadian Prairies?
6. What is the main holiday decoration in most Mexican homes?
7. What is the shape of the popular buche de Noel cake made in France
at Christmas time?
8. What are the most popular Christmas tree decorations in China?
9. In Germany, the three Thursdays before Christmas are known as Knocking
Nights. What do children do on those nights?
10. People in the Czech Republic believe that Christmas Eve has a certain
magic. What is it?
11. In the Ukraine, who travels with Father Frost when he delivers gifts?
12. In Austria, a bell is rung after Christmas Eve dinner to signal the
opening of a locked door. What are children permitted to see for
the first time behind the locked door?
13. What two foods are distributed to the poor on Christmas Day by many
people in Egypt?
14. Who delivers gifts at Christmas to Syrian children who have been good?
15. In addition to Christmas trees, what other items are used to decorate
churches in Kenya for Christmas?
16. What foods do families in Switzerland share after the traditional
17. What do children do with their shoes in Spain on Januray 5?
18. In Hungary, Christmas is celebrated twice. What are the dates
for these celebrations?